If you are a business and are wanting to appear in Google searches, locally or otherwise, you need to set up a Google My Business profile.
What is Google My Business?
Google my Business is Googles Business Directory. Small business and Not for Profits can use the directory to promote their business and showcase business info and activities such as location, products and services, opening times, menus, events, images, reviews and much more.
If you consistently update information and ask your customers for reviews Google will reward you with a spot on its local Map Pack. And once you appear there when the user types in your local product or service, it is going to start raining clicks!
Benefits of Google My Business
Google My Business can help you to attract, engage, and convert customers. With Google My Business profile that is up to date and verified, you can:
- Receive phone calls, messaging, reviews from customers
- See how customers interact and connect with your business
- Feature services, products, and other business info on Google
How do I set up a Google My Business profile you may ask. Easy-Peasy! Here are the steps to follow.
- Visit https://www.google.com.au/business/sign-up/index.html
- If you have an Google account already, which you are happy to use to manage your Google My business ? login
- If you go not have a Google account, follow the prompts to create one. It?s FREE
- Once you?re in enter your business details such as your Business name, Business Address, your business tpe ? shopfront or service (you can select that you visit people in their locations and hide your home address if you work from home and do not see people there)
- Select your business category, don?t be vague put down exactly what your business offers
- Add phone number, email and website address. If you do not have a website link to a Facebook profile and then call A la Marketing and we will build you a website.
- Verify your listing. You will most likely be given ONLY the option to have a postcard sent to your address. This may take a few weeks to arrive. Once it does open it to reveal the code inside, log back into Google My Business and select Verify and enter the code.
- Complete populating all your business information inclusing adding images and articles. Once your business is verified all of these things will be available to your audience.
- Maintain your profile.
- Ask for reviews, answer all reviews, even the bad ones.
- Ensure you post images and articles often.
- If you hours of operation change, update your profile. You can add special holiday hours for any short term changes.
For information on other important online tools visits the following blogs
How to set up Facebook Business Manager
How to set up a Mailchimp account
What is Google Search Console?
Later.com – Why it?s the best social media scheduling tool
What is Link Building?
One of SEO?s fundamental activities is link building. This is the process of getting links from other websites to your website. But not all links are created equal, the aim is to get as many HIGH QUALITY links back to your site, not just a huge number of random or irrelevant links.
Why is link building important?
High quality links are something that search engines such as Google value highly when considering ranking factors, along with quality original content, and outstanding page structure.
Google not only looks at the number of links but the quality of relevant links back to your site. So if you have a landscaping business and you 10 articles published in the likes of House and Garden magazine online you will have better results than being published 100 on foreign random directory listings.
Types of links and how to get the good ones
In SEO link building has changed over the years. The site with the most links used to win, however the user experience didn?t always match up to the search query on search engines so they came up with a better way to give the user what they wanted..answers to their specific questions/ pain points.
These days Google is very sophisticated in the type of links it values and ranks higher than others – Here are a few types of links and how to get them.
Google My Business
If you want good Google results you should start with having a Google My Business listing. Start at the source.
Internal website links
Link between pages or blogs on your own website to help your user move around better and stay on your site longer.
Links to Government websites .gov.au
These sites have high authority but aren?t easy to get. Look into local government programs where you can offer courses, training or information about products and services.
Links to educational institutions .edu.au
Best way to do this is allow guest posts from students that are studying in your industry and encourage the sharing links with their education community such as teachers and fellow students.
Links to non-profit organisations org.au
Sponsor an event or a charity, donate money or time and get rewarded with a link from a local not for profit organisation. Feels good to give too.
Guest blogging links
Look for people that write about your business topic, they?re always looking for content?content is tiresome to produce so you?ll be doing them a favour. Create some great content and pitch it to the Blogger who owns the site. Do this often. Once you develop a relationship with some of these guys you will have an ongoing source of link options. Just ensure your blogs are GOOD! As always good content always prevails.
Traditional media links
Create a source relevant to your industry that journalists can draw from and quote. Look up sites like HARO https://www.helpareporter.com/ where you can register for alerts on your chosen topics and get notifications when a reporter is looking to source info on that topic.
Links to sites that complement your industry.
If you are a florist link to gift baskets, If you are a mechanic partner with panel beaters, if you are a wedding planner partner with a celebrant. Return the favour for them. But remember to write a good piece of content for their readers, give them some good advice, something they will value. Value always wins hearts.
Social Media profile links and post links
Make sure your website is connected to all your active business social platforms. This is crucial and a very easy way to get links. Include any and all that you maintain. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Snapchat, and so on.
Link all your blogs through your socials and get people coming to your site through those channels.
Post quality content to Reddit and link your site. Do this often and do it well.
Links from Local Directories
This is low hanging fruit but can be very effective. Look up top 100 Australian directories and start there.
Those are probably enough to get you started but being an owner of an SEO company in Brisbane, here are some things I would like you to remember.
- Quality over quantity. You want to have links from GOOD authoritative sites, NOT thousands of dodgy sites.
- Create good quality content. It?ll take longer but if humans read your content as well as Google you are onto a winner.
- Create links often, commitment to link building will make a difference to your SEO position on Google.
- Smile. It?s a lovely day in sunny Queensland.
Till next time.